What To Do If Other Parent Won’t Pay Child Support

It can be very frustrating when your ex-spouse isn’t paying the child support he or she owes you. Your children need money for food, clothes, school supplies and other expenses and you’re having trouble making ends meet without that money. Don’t let your ex get away with this. Family lawyers may help you collect the support you are owed. Here are several options you can use to get the other parent to pay back child support:

Talk to Your Ex

Talking to your ex might be the last thing you want to do right now, especially if the two of you aren’t on good terms. However, you may want to try negotiating with him or her before you get the courts involved. It will be a lot quicker and less costly. Ask your ex why he or she hasn’t made the payments and if there’s any modifications that can be made. For example, if your ex tells you that he or she isn’t getting as many hours at work right, you may agree to temporarily reduce the child support payments until he or she gets more hours again. Be sure to get the agreement approved by a judge.

Garnish Wages

If your ex still isn’t making any effort to pay child support, you may consider having his or her wages garnished. This means that part of his or her paycheck will go directly into your bank account every month. With this collection effort, you are guaranteed to receive the money you are owed every month.

Create a Lien

Another way to enforce child support payments is to create a lien on your ex’s property and credit. If you do this, your ex won’t be able to sell the property or obtain credit until he or she has paid you the child support you are owed.

Revoking Driver’s License

The court can also revoke your ex’s driver’s license if he or she isn’t paying child support. While this in itself won’t give you money, it can motivate your ex to finally meet his or her obligations. After all, it will be very difficult for your ex to get to work and other important places if he or she isn’t allowed to drive.

Hiring a Child Support Lawyer

If you are having trouble getting your ex to pay child support, it may be in your best interest so hire a child support lawyer. He or she may help you pursue all of your legal options to get paid and even try to negotiate with your ex. With a skilled lawyer on your side, you may have a better chance of getting the support you’re owed.

A family lawyer, like from Pioletti, Pioletti & Nichols, knows how frustrating it can be when you’re not receiving the child support you are owed and can offer legal assistance. Contact a law firm today to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.