Tickets and Out of State Insurance Rates

Someone who receives a speeding ticket in North Carolina, for example, but who lives in another state, may wonder whether the ticket will affect his or her insurance rates and driving privileges. Does the infraction get added to the individual’s driving record even though it was given in another state? Will the insurance company find out about it?

Laws Vary Between States

Depending on the state you live in, the infraction of a speeding ticket in North Carolina will follow you home. An interstate reciprocal agreement called the “Driver License Compact” is an agreement in which 45 states promise to report convictions made by drivers of the other state to each other. For example, if your driving infraction in North Carolina (which is a DLC member) warrants the suspension of your driver’s license, your home state will be encouraged to suspend it at home as well.

The five states that are not DLC members don’t necessarily keep your speeding tickets a secret. They may still notify your home state and vice versa, so don’t feel like you’re off the hook just yet.

Insurance Rates

Sometimes it takes a while for your insurance carrier to catch the news of your speeding ticket in another state. When they do find out, you can plan on your rate going up just as it would if you received the ticket in your home state. Again, every state law is different, so if you live in a state that does not add points to your driving record for speeding in another state, it may not affect your insurance rates at all.

If you are given an insurance discount for being a good driver, that could be affected by your North Carolina speeding ticket as well. Some insurers may raise your rate and take away the discount, others may do one or the other, and yet others may not do either.

Contacting a Lawyer

Whether you received a speeding ticket in your home state, North Carolina, or somewhere else, it’s important you understand the laws regarding this type of infraction. You need to know if you will be able to continue driving with your license, if your insurance premiums will go up, or if no action will be taken at all.

When you find yourself in such a situation, contacting a lawyer may be your best option. He or she can help you understand what penalties you’re facing and what you can do to move forward. Contact a lawyer, like a criminal lawyer from Rispoli & Borneo, P.C., today for assistance.